Thursday, October 8, 2009

I've always hated baby dolls...

This is a note on the fly, as I’m heading out to chaperone a 9th grade field trip…Last night we watched an episode of 30 Rock in which Tina Fey, aka “Lemon,” is trying to prove to an adoption agency rep that her life is safe and supportive enough to be granted an adoptive child. At one point, she holds up a baby doll and asks something like, "Is it so wrong that I want to have one of these to grow up and resent me?”

We laughed, mostly because that riff struck me as an accurate description of (some) of my fatalistic views on parenting. I imagine that, despite all our best efforts, we will mess things up for our kid and it’s hard to imagine a child of the global warming era NOT having some resentment towards the generations that have come, seen and conquered before theirs. So, why bring a child into this world?

Mostly, I guess, because I still love this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment